Thursday, July 23, 2009

*Everyday Chatter

I just realized that I missed my own anniversary. On July 15, this blog turned 2. It's now officially a toddler that refuses to eat what I put in front of it. You can read about my first anniversary here. Here are 5 of my favorites from back then:

The Diesel Wall, hyped by the corporation as a kind of public art project, is now more obviously what it really was all along--a big ad:


Ikea quits the free rides. This is how they getcha--the big retailers come in with all kinds of treats, lull you to sleep, then one by one, the treats disappear. [BP]

Time Out New York seems to think the Cooper Square Hotel is "cool" and "edgy", just like the old school East Village. [TONY]

Will 1st Avenue and 6th Street, already overcrowded, get its own MePa-style Bacchanalian Brunch nightmare? [EVG]

People respond to the glorious 500-foot rule. [Eater]

City painter Sharon Florin has a show coming up 7/30. [SJF]

Are hipsters getting dangerous? First, they beat up one of their own in Bushwick, then (according to this commenter) they harass and assault the owner of Moishe's Bakery in the EV. Must be those frayed parental lifelines.

13 comments:

Bowery Boogie said...

Happy belated birthday!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday!!!

EV Grieve said...

Uh-oh! Does this mean the Terrible Twos?!?!

Congratualtions! And thank you all you do.

Anonymous said...

Geez enough with the gushing. you guys disgust me.

In response to the commenters comment on the comment about the hipsters. "White Flight" happened because the city went to shit in the 70's and everyone got scared of the poor people running around who also happened to be Black and Latino.

White Re-integration has been happening since the early 90's and has degenerated into communities that resemble a bad copy of St. Marks everywhere you look sprinkled with rich/sort of rich? people staring out there windows to see if you're looking in cause at night you can see straight in their entire apt. Where do you think we live, an episode of the Jetsons?

bryan said...

congrats on the anniversary. here's to many more!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone confirm it was hipsters who assaulted Moishe? I'm not one to defend their ilk, but it seems much more likely to me that it was some of the "crusty" young suburban runaways/bums who think that dressing like they're about to go to a Ramones concert in the 80s while begging for change and getting high all day somehow constitutes putting it to the man.

hntrnyc said...

Best wishes and heartfelt thanks Jeremiah. Your site was one of the biggest inspirations for me to start my own.

Cheers!

Cat Sitter in the City said...

Congratulations on your blog's second anniversary. It has been required reading for me!

Jeremiah Moss said...

thanks guys, for all your ongoing support--it's been another good year.

re: moishe's--i kind of doubted the hipster thing, too, but you never know. maybe it's "hipsters gone wild."

Anonymous said...

Great blog with fantastic writing/reporting. Congratulations and much continued success with Vanishing NY.

Anonymous said...

Ok I am the guy who was there when the hipsters harrassed and attacked the owner of Moishe's. I will tell you this: an elderly man with a key was opening the door to Moishes's. He was definitely over 80. I assume he was the owner. A bunch of 'hipsters' began throwing trash at the man, and spitting at him. They were also cursing "F YOU OLD MAN, I'LL KILL YOU". I was with my friends who are from Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, firefighters, construction workers, etc, and we went to assist the man, and chased off those jerks. This was early morning. They were coming out of the bars on 2nd. It was dark out. I'm sick of these little shits and I hope I catch them doing something like that again so I can smash their freakin heads in.

Anonymous said...

Oh and heres another comment. I'm sick of these little jerks pretending to be tough guys. Come out to Bensonhurst or pelham bay and try that crap with some italians.

Agent99 said...

Ive only just stumbled onto your blog, but I like you already. Is New York really that disillusioning?
Im from Sydney, Oz and we just dont have any of what you claim to have or miss having.
Smile, sweetheart- Im sure its not all bad, after all your there arent you? ;-)